Friday 17 April 2015

Oatmeal Shortbread

This recipe is at least 80 years old.  It was given to me by my mother-in-law and it was her mother's recipe.  This is one of those amazing recipes that has only a few ingredients and they simply taste wonderful together.  Light, crispy, buttery and oaty.  Is that even a word?  Well it is now!

 

You can make these one of two ways, either as a drop cookie or slice and bake them.  They are heavenly either way!  

 

Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups oatmeal, any variety

Method

Cream softened butter with vanilla and brown sugar.  Add remaining ingredients, mixing well.  Roll into balls and press with a wet fork.  

Let me talk about that for a minute.  When I was a little girl I used to bake cookies with my maternal grandmother.  Oh, the days we spent in the kitchen together.  She taught me that instead of a floured fork, (which added a bit more flour the cookie) she would use a small bowl of water and a fork.  Dip the fork into the bowl, knock off the excess and press down the cookie.  I never used a floured fork again.  I even do my peanut butter cookie hatch marks that way.  Boy I miss those days in the kitchen with my grandmother, she was the sweetest woman I think I have ever met. 

Anyway, back to the recipe.  You can roll and flatten the cookies, or roll them into a log, then wrap them in waxed paper and put them in the fridge for several hours, or over night.  Then when you are ready to bake, simply slice into 1/4" slices.  Bake them on a parchment lined baking sheet, about 2" apart in a 325° F oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Let cool slightly, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely.  

Makes 2 dozen 3" cookies.
 

1 comment: